It's been a theme of my college career: young adults "progressing" through their young adult lives, and yet seemingly digressing in wisdom and maturity. I remember what kids were like in my high school - they worked hard in most of their classes, had big ideas for their future, slaved hours over college applications, and felt a sense of pride and accomplishment upon graduating. They thought they were growing up, moving on, earning respect and responsibility, and becoming mature, responsible adults. "Mom, Dad, you can leave my dorm now - I'm going to be fine...Yes I know how to do my laundry...Don't worry I'll eat my vegetables...Shut up already I'm an adult now!"
So now, I ask you, I ask myself, What the hell happened?!
So Mom and Pop left your dorm, and you proceeded to go out the first weekend of classes to get smashed. I mean, I did it. I went to my first college party the night after I moved in to college. I got fairly drunk, danced all night, and sweat more than is fathomable.
So what? College kids are supposed to have fun, because they will never again get the same kind of opportunity.
True. But there is a difference between fun and stupidity. It seems like when kids get their college ID, they mistake it for a license to act sixteen again - to forget everything they know about meaningful relationships, to ignore morals and ethics regarding sex, to drop all previous friendships, and to know no boundaries regarding drug and alcohol use.
I'd like to say here that perhaps I am talking about the minority of college kids. Even so, I think the issue needs to be addressed.
I also don't mean to preach or to be a hypocrite. I have certainly made my fair of dumb mistakes over the past few years, and I'm fortunate enough to have supportive friends and family who can tell me when I'm being an idiot.
What I really want to say is - time does not stop while you are in college. These are 3, 4, 5 years of your life or more that REALLY MATTER. So please, try your best to not act like a child. Try instead to mature and develop, to think about morals and relationships and responsibility. And for goodness sake, grow up instead of growing down. I can't tell you how many people I know have de-matured since high school. It's fucking sad.
And now, for a bit of a "plug" if you will - take some Philosophy classes. They make you think hard about life (if you get the right professors), and I've found them to be a great grounding force in my college career.
So now, I ask you, I ask myself, What the hell happened?!
So Mom and Pop left your dorm, and you proceeded to go out the first weekend of classes to get smashed. I mean, I did it. I went to my first college party the night after I moved in to college. I got fairly drunk, danced all night, and sweat more than is fathomable.
So what? College kids are supposed to have fun, because they will never again get the same kind of opportunity.
True. But there is a difference between fun and stupidity. It seems like when kids get their college ID, they mistake it for a license to act sixteen again - to forget everything they know about meaningful relationships, to ignore morals and ethics regarding sex, to drop all previous friendships, and to know no boundaries regarding drug and alcohol use.
I'd like to say here that perhaps I am talking about the minority of college kids. Even so, I think the issue needs to be addressed.
I also don't mean to preach or to be a hypocrite. I have certainly made my fair of dumb mistakes over the past few years, and I'm fortunate enough to have supportive friends and family who can tell me when I'm being an idiot.
What I really want to say is - time does not stop while you are in college. These are 3, 4, 5 years of your life or more that REALLY MATTER. So please, try your best to not act like a child. Try instead to mature and develop, to think about morals and relationships and responsibility. And for goodness sake, grow up instead of growing down. I can't tell you how many people I know have de-matured since high school. It's fucking sad.
And now, for a bit of a "plug" if you will - take some Philosophy classes. They make you think hard about life (if you get the right professors), and I've found them to be a great grounding force in my college career.
No comments:
Post a Comment